|Title:||COPD and Asthma Patient Preferences – Virtual versus Standard Respiratory Nurse-Led Clinics|
|Author(s):||M. Ward P. O'Toole B. Magimairaj A. Deegan S.L. O'Beirne|
|Institution:||St. Michael's Hospital|
|Poster:||Click to view poster|
|Category:||Asthma and COPD|
|Abstract:||During the COVID-19 pandemic virtual clinics (VC) were utilised in many outpatient settings in place of standard outpatient visits, with some centres continuing this following the lockdown period. This study aimed to ascertain whether, if given the option, existing respiratory nurse-led clinic (NLC) patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and/or asthma, would prefer a VC over a standard outpatient clinic visit.|
35 current respiratory NLC patients were surveyed by phone regarding their preferences related to virtual vs standard outpatient clinics, and digital literacy and access.
The mean age of participants was 56 years, 27 (77%) were female and 8 (23%) were male. 18 (51%) had COPD, 12 (34%) had asthma and 5 (15%) had asthma-COPD overlap syndrome. The majority of patients (n=20, 57%) preferred to attend a standard outpatient clinic. Of the 15 (43%) who preferred to be reviewed virtually, only 3 (20%) would utilise this option if they felt their condition was unstable, with the remaining 12 (80%), preferring to attend an outpatient clinic if unwell.
This study demonstrates that, while VC have a role, particularly during a lockdown period, the majority of patients within this service would rather attend the outpatient clinic as normal, particularly when unwell.